Monday, August 28, 2006

The interview!

I really must blog more often! So much has happened since I mentioned that I was going for an interview ...

I had to go through an agency for the job I saw advertised. I was interviewed by a little girl who looked like a younger version of Chantal from Big Brother, and sounded as if she'd spent her formative years watching Neighbours, judging by the 'EK-sent?' and the way everything was a question, apart from the questions. After discussed the various PA roles I've had over the past 15 - 20 years she asked me to do a typing test. When I finished, with 100% accuracy and 80wpm she coo'd, 'Ah Jeez, a proper PA?' I guess, in her book, a 'proper PA' is someone who can type faster than a secretary ...

So I smiled through gritted teeth and went on my way and was called the next day to say that the advertisers of the Good Job wanted to see me. Chantal-Lookie-Likie-Neighbours-Chickie said that she would like to see me on the day for a pre-interview to, y'know, like, check I was properly pre-PARED? And that I was dressed apPROpriately? I swallowed hard to force down the words that rose in my throat. Those of you who know me will understand that those words began with an F and ended with an off ...

I must learn to swallow my pride (although it sticks in my throat like cold brussels sprouts on a rainy Sunday afternoon when everyone else has finished lunch and is allowed to leave the table). It is a very good job and I want it. It is halfway between my home and my shack on the beach, so in the summer I could be at the hut by 5.30 ... It is set in fabulous landscape gardens where I could sit and eat my lunch and relax. It has its own gym and the Chief Exec likes his employees to stay healthy so has paid for everyone to have their own personal trainer. I did squeak, trying to mask my horror, 'Is that obligatory?'

I would like the job. I would like the salary, which is up to £4K more than I get for turning up at the University and playing with ebay all day. I would like to get back into 'industry', where customer service matters and where you pick up a 'phone if it's ringing, even if it isn't yours, just to be helpful and professional. I would like to work with the people who said to me at the interview that they loved their job, they loved the buzz, they enjoyed being part of something important. I would like to leave work at the end of the day feeling that I had achieved something, instead of leaving work at the University thanking my lucky stars that no-one had noticed I was bored and fed up and had nothing to do (even though being invisible is no fun).

If I survive my first day back at work tomorrow after a week off, I'll blog again. If I'm too depressed I'll have a drink instead.

May your day tomorrow be better than mine ...