Friday, January 20, 2017

Adam Ant vs the Spice Girls

It came to me this morning as I was getting ready for work to go and sit behind a computer and look as if I'm working. I heard that 80s classic 'Prince Charming' on the radio and it suddently hit me, as I sang along. 

'Don't you ever, don't you ever lower yourself, forgetting all your standards.'  

I am Prince Charming in a world of Wannabees.  To me, excellence is something to strive for.  Unfortunately, I am one of a dying breed.  My colleagues - sadly, those higher up the pecking order with more clout than I have - see excellence as too much like hard work.  Instead, they strive for adequacy and, what is worse, they criticize those few of us who are still going for gold.  Brass will suit them very nicely, thank you, and they don't want anyone else wasting time on delivering a better service.

You would not believe the amount of time being wasted by people who earn £30K+ a year over a simple line in an internal document for MY meeting, which none of them attend (let me repeat that, an internal document for MY meeting).  That's not a line of text, by the way, that is a line, as in
______________________________________________

I've added it to MY document to break up a mass of impenetrable text (which they produce) into more readable sections.  So far there have been a dozen different conversations and a flurry of emails about why I did it (although no-one has asked me directly).  Why don't these people get on with some real work?  God knows they're paid enough ...

And now another song springs to mind:

We gotta get out of this place
If it's the last thing we ever do
We gotta get out of this place
'cause girl, there's a better life for me and you








  

3 comments:

Heather said...

A line?? An actual straight line devoid of text, features or anything exciting??

Dear me, these people must have very boring lives......

I was frequently told, when doing office jobs, that I worked too hard and made everyone else look bad. I feel your pain xxxxxx

Zain said...

Amazing post... I Love it
please check my latest android game named Traffic Racing in playstore.
thanks.

Amm Dii said...

Thanks for this post. I was searching for such thing for a long time. It's really very helpful. Doing great work, Best of luck.
From Team Impossible Rally Racer