Monday, December 18, 2006

Knit one, purl one




I used to knit a lot when I lived in Paris but since I've been back in England I've hardly done any knitting, and recently gave away all my needles. On a pre-Christmas visit to a friend I noticed a short piece of knitting on a pair of needles - full of holes and dropped stitches. Sue was teaching her grand-daughter to knit, and I started to think it would be nice and relaxing to knit something in front of the telly of an evening.

The following day I went to visit my Aunty, who also had a piece of knitting on a pair of needles. It was the most glorious, fluffy wool and (obviously a sign I'm getting old!) I got very very excited about this scarf she was knitting, so she kindly gave me 2 balls and a pair of needles. Less than 48 hours later, I've already knitted up one ball and started on the second, my repetitive strain injury is back with a vengeance in my right wrist, and I've bid on enough for 3 more scarves on Ebay ... guess what everyone is getting for Christmas next year?

I don't have any room for more hobbies! I don't have time for any more hobbies, but there is something very comforting about sitting in front of the television, watching this scarf grow, and wondering what colour to knit next.

Anyone want to buy a scarf? Could this be my next money-spinner, like the wooden rosebuds and the Peruvian jewellery? Hmmm, bearing in mind the hundreds of wooden rosebuds that are still unsold, and the dozens of pairs of earrings that I still have left over, perhaps I shouldn't have been on those 6 balls of wool ...

No comments: