Friday, December 29, 2006

It's all over now ...

My last day at work proved, once and for all, that I have made the right decision to leave.

Bearing in mind I organised the Christmas lunch, for 65 people, designed and printed all the place settings (with reminder menus on the back and jokes inside in case the cracker jokes weren't bad enough) organised the Secret Santa and the coach there and back, and managed to fit it all into the budget, oh, AND sourced the Santa suit AND made them a deal so that they could keep the suit for next year when I wouldn't be there to organize it ...

Bearing all that in mind, I was expecting a little more from the MD than, 'This time last year ... down-hearted ... didn't get contract ... blah blah ... Linda's leaving ... This time next year ... new contract ... blah blah ... Eat up everyone!'

Wanker.

I've made some great friends at the University. They clubbed together for the most wonderful designer jewellry for me that I love. I miss some of them already and it's been less than 10 days! But, on the whole, I'm glad to go - not because of the people, not because of the pay or the benefits or the holiday, but because of my line manager, Nick, and the one Senior Programme Manager who actually gave me any work, Joy. Joy has such a low opinion of herself and her ability that she projected that onto me from the word go, and assumed I would be incapable of doing the slightest task without constant supervision. Of course, one rises to expectations, and one also falls to them - whatever I did for her seemed to go wrong, and I maintain that if she'd left me to get on with it in the first place we wouldn't have had the problems we did.

But that's all in the past. This time next week I shall have completed my first week at my new job. I'm really a bit anxious about it because I always go into a new job with high hopes and last time - at the University - my hopes were dashed from day one.

I've had a very happy Christmas and I'm looking forward to a happy new year. I wish you all one, too.

xxx

1 comment:

steel breeze said...

Good luck with the new job! Nah, I never get any recognition either, it's just the way it is. I used to do all the IT - I never got, "thanks Jane, we didn't get any viruses in" but "why's my email not working?!" This, from a job that was not even officially my remit! Thank goodness somebody else does it now, it made me ill!