Monday, January 01, 2007

Happy New Year!


I hope your 2006 went out with a bang and that your 2007 started with one. Wait, I mean bang in the sense of the noise of fireworks, not bang in the American sense of ... oh well, either way, I hope you had a good one!

I spent a lovely evening with Jools Holland, since my dear friend Bunny was poorly and we had to cancel our plans which had involved dozens of mini spring rolls and wontons, washed down with lashings of champagne. Alas, Bunny was dripping snot and talking through great throatfuls of phlegm over the 'phone, and as I start a new job TOMORROW I didn't really want to catch it, thank you very much, so I stayed a safe 20 miles away at home.

I sent my mobile happy new year texts well before midnight to avoid the rush (I'm so organised I'm told it makes people sick) and turned my mobile off before I went to bed, so as to avoid any disturbance in the wee small hours when the glut of messages finally got through. No-one would be foolish enough to risk my wrath by 'phoning my home line! The fireworks stopped around 1am. I couldn't sleep a wink and ended up getting up and making some (decaff) coffee and playing a couple of rounds of Spider Solitaire before finally going back to bed and to sleep around 3am.

Oh, the joy of being awoken at 6am by the telephone - the land line. I ignored it. It rang every 20 minutes until, at 7.40, I dragged myself out of bed, promising to hang, draw and quarter whoever it was unless they had a very good reason, and discovered that it was a text message, sent at midnight by someone who shall remain nameless, but readers of earlier posts will recognize his Red Indian name of Fights-With-Neighbours. Bless him (not what I thought at the time though) he's got my home number instead of my mobile programmed into his 'phone, and he sent me a Happy New Year text at midnight, and it had taken until 6am to get through. My 'call minder' facility on my landline rings every 20 minutes after a message has been left. Oh bliss!

I can't claim that I then stayed awake and cleaned the kitchen to greet the new year with an array of sparkling surfaces - no, my new year's resolutions do not include exchanging my slut crown for that of domestic goddess - I went back to bed until noon. Now, though, the coffee is drunk, the eyes are fully open, and so are the shops. One last chance to grab a bargain before going back to the world of work tomorrow.

And a word about my new job. I'm looking forward to a fresh start with new people who, I hope, will not treat me like the office junior/dogsbody/janitor. My mistake in my last job was assuming that the managers I worked for knew that PA stood for Personal Assistant, and not, as they seemed to think, Piss Artist. Maybe I should take several copies of my CV with me and distribute them to the people in the new department? Maybe not ... Have to work out first if they are likely to get my sense of humour/irony/sarcasm ...

I have high hopes that everything will go smoothly but I know myself. I know I'm a cup-half-empty kinda gal. How long do you think it will be before this blog turns into a rant about my new colleagues?

I'm taking bets ...

In the meantime, HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

No comments: