Sunday, January 21, 2007


I've spent a lot of time this week with my head under the bonnet. I've spent a lot of time this week sitting anxiously in traffic watching steam coming out from under the bonnet. You see that bottle on the left, with the yellow lid? That's where water goes. I keep putting water in and by the time I get home from work it's all gone and I drive up the road looking as if I'm making a grand entrance through a romantic cloud of dry ice. Of course, the romantic image on Friday was spoiled as I wound down the window and yelled at the woman getting out of her car that she had chosen a 'fucking stupid place to park'. She was right across my drive. She said she would only be a couple of minutes and went to deliver her brat to a house 2 doors down. I was steaming as much as the car by the time she came back, I can tell you! There are times when I wish I had a tank, then I'd simply ram people who got in my way ...

So my poor thirsty car is going to the garage tomorrow and I'll be feeling down the backs of sofas and chairs trying to find the money to pay for it. The new job is great, but it's inaccessible without a car, so I'll be completely stuffed if there's something major (expensive) wrong. Hey ho, I'll try not to think about that now.

Whenever I've started a new job - and there have been a few! - it hasn't been long (usually only a few hours) before someone has said, 'We're all mad here!' Well, the new job is no different. I can't remember who it was who informed me that they were, 'All mad here!' but someone did on my first morning. Actually, no-one's mad there that I've noticed. I think it's something people say to make you think they are wild and wacky and fun-loving. The only place I've worked where I've come across people who I consider to need serious long-term therapy and/or sectioning under the mental health act and/or electric shock treatment is the University and, funnily enough, no-one there ever uttered the phrase, 'We're all mad here!' And yet, most of them were ....

Weird that, or should I say WIHRD?

(In joke ... if you work there you'll know what I mean!)

A sign that I'm much happier where I am now : it's Sunday and I've cleaned the kitchen and have a roast dinner in the oven. When I was at the University I'd spend Sundays in bed under the duvet trying to convince myself that I didn't have to go back on Monday...

No comments: