Monday, August 04, 2008

Things that go bump in the day ...

As a pre-birthday treat (and shame on all who forgot it was 2 August - notable lapses being my Aunty Wendy and my Grandmother) a friend of mine took me out for the day on Tuesday 29 July. I was allowed to choose where I wanted to go, and my requirements were simple. 'I'd like to go to a haunted house, please.'

I had heard nothing about Athelhampton House prior to our visit, except that there was supposed to be the ghost of a monkey there. I went along hoping to hear a chattering or scratching noise, but the reality was far more interesting ...

The house and gardens are far more spectacular than my few photos here show, so do take a look at their website via the above link.

The friend I went with, Lesley, seems to be a lot more sensitive to atmosphere than I am, but we both felt very giddy on the staircase leading up to the King's Bedroom, to the extent that I had to hold onto the bannisters. We had a quick look into the room before realising that we had missed some other rooms further up the stairs, so returned the way we had come and visited the Marevna Gallery, at the top of the house.













Back in the King's Bedroom, as I walked past the left-hand side of the bed, I suddenly felt that I couldn't breathe: my lungs seemed paralysed. There was a pressing feeling in my chest, as if something soft, like a ballon or a pillow, was being pressed very hard against my heart. I'm very alert to anything to do with my heart after my op earlier this year, but it didn't feel like an angina attack, just a heavy pressure. I said to Lesley, who was walking ahead of me, that I couldn't breathe, and she came back to where I was standing. She was breathing fine, but said she felt a pressure in her chest - just as I was feeling, although I hadn't said anything aloud! The feeling of pressure, and not being able to breathe vanished as soon as I left the room, and I asked the house steward if she knew if anyone had died in the King's Bedroom. Due to the age of the house, it seems very probable, and as I had brought the subject up, she was able to tell me that there have been several people who have had inexplicable experiences in the house, or seen/heard things.

I sensed nothing else for the rest of the tour around the house and the lovely grounds, and I didn't feel that the experience I had was malevolent or threatening in any way. I'd recommend the place to anyone, even if you're not interested in ghoulies and ghosties and long-legged beasties...
The house steward told us that Athelhampton had been featured on Most Haunted as one of the top ten haunted houses in England - you can view the episode, broken down into segments, here or all in one hit here.

I only took a few photos because the official website has much better ones, but here are a few pictures from the gardens :




































All in all, a very interesting and exciting visit. I really would like to stay there overnight, but I don't think I'd find anyone to come with me!

1 comment:

Heather said...

Wooooooooo! (cue X-Files music)

I'd never even heard of this place. You'd be on your own there if you asked me ;))

Hope you got my parcel OK?