Monday, September 18, 2006

If there's one thing I really hate ...

... it's when someone arranges to meet you in an hotel foyer. It could be for a perfectly legitimate reason - like tonight, I had an appointment with a recruitment consultant in a Winchester hotel at 7.30pm - but every time someone walks past me as I'm waiting I can almost hear them thinking, 'Prostitute'.

My brain tells me that, logically, they probably haven't even noticed me and, if they have, they probably aren't thinking, 'prostitute' at all, but I just feel very awkward. Maybe it's wishful thinking on my part - sometimes being a prostitute is far more appealing than the job I'm doing at the moment. Sometimes I think there's very little difference between the two - you're surrounded by pricks in both jobs ...

So this evening, I sat down in one of the big red leather chairs in reception, right opposite the front door so I could see the consultant as soon as she walked in, and tried to look as inconspicuous as possible. Of course, being only 5'4" on a good day, and less by the evening, my feet didn't reach the floor so I couldn't brace myself, and kept sliding forwards. I had to sit on the edge of the seat instead and, after 5 minutes, I had a wander into the bar and the lounge in case she'd got there before me. Nope. I went back to my slippery seat in reception and smiled and nodded at a dozen American tourists who were discussing the menu. The sea-bass sounded lovely. All I'd had before I came out was a microwave low-fat spaghetti bolognese and my tummy was rumbling.

The recruitment consultant hadn't turned up by 8pm and I don't wait more than half an hour for anyone, so I left a note on reception and turned to go ... and saw Kris Marshall, who plays Nick in My Family. As cute in real life as on screen, he looked me up and down and said, 'How much for the whole night, love?'

Only joking! But maybe I'll go and hang out there again tomorrow night ...

No comments: