Friday, September 01, 2006

TGI Friday!

It's Friday, hurrah! Last night the local daily paper carried the jobs section. I didn't have time to read it last night but I shall go home tonight and settle down to scour the pages for an escape route. I'll prepare any applications over the weekend, then print them off at work on Monday and send them off.

I had a letter of rejection for a job yesterday. I didn't even get an interview, I don't know why. My CV matched just what the advert said they were looking for, and it's very depressing to be told, 'We had a very high number of applicants and unfortunately you were unsuccessful on this occasion.'

Mind you, that beats the letter of rejection I had a couple of weeks ago - after the job I'd applied and been interviewed for was re-run in the paper. I wrote back and thanked them for letting me know I hadn't got the job, but that it would have been a good deal more professional if they'd ensured it would arrive before the advert came out again. It won't do any good, but it made me feel a bit better for a few minutes.

I've applied for over 20 jobs since beginning my search for something new. All of them have been ones I am qualified and experienced to do. I've had 9 interviews, and they've all gone really well, but something's going wrong (or I'm doing something wrong) because I'm still stuck here at the University! I know it's only a question of time before I find another job but in the meantime, all this rejection is making me feel I'm not good enough for anything other than general dogs-body here.

At least no-one's come to report a broken toilet to me yet today. But there's still time ...