Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Just my luck!

Isn't this just typical of my luck?

Yesterday I had an email from the charity where I volunteer as a counsellor. They'd written previously saying that they head some excess funding and would like to 'reward' the long-term volunteers - I'd said that as long as I continued to get my expenses paid I was quite happy with that. Yesterday's email said that they were considering employing the more experienced volunteers (I count as one of those) on a freelance basis for certain clients, which sounded great! I'm currently taking £40 a week for the centre in donations, and the thought of that coming my way instead would be wonderful news for the poor old bank balance.

But isn't there always a catch?

We'd have to pay for the room hire ourselves. No idea how much that would be but could be £5 an hour. We'd have to have ongoing analytical therapy ourselves - that could be anything between £35 - £50 a week. We'd have to have our own public liability insurance, which is £85 a year, and we wouldn't get our expenses reimbursed (I claim about £5 a week for petrol and parking). So, in order for them to pay me £40, I'd have to spend £55 - £70 a week. Even with GCSE grade C maths I can work out that it would be costing me more to be paid that it currently costs me to volunteer!

I think I know what the answer will be when they ask me if I'd like to be paid ... NO THANK YOU!

No comments: