Monday, October 02, 2006

Another music-filled weekend!

It's been a fun-filled week since I last updated you on what's been going on in the Land of Linda!

I've had various meetings with managers at work to voice my complaints about my line manager and in the end had to talk to him myself - no-one can do it for me. The upshot is that he's not going to agree to my changing line manager (he can't actually stop me but, for now, I'm going to let him think he can) but I think he's going to be a bit more careful of how he behaves around me from now on. If he doesn't, then over his head I go ... Can't cope any more with being the bottom of the food chain here and the one who gets kicked whenever my line manager gets kicked ...

A good part of the week was sorting out Christmas! Yes, Swims with Crocodiles* and Swims with Sharks* will be swimming together for Christmas! I'm flying up to Manchester for almost a week and looking forward to it already. It means that Dances with Anyone* will be on her own with her daughters (don't get me started!) and her ex-husband and his twin brother. The only way to get through that recipe for disaster is to get thoroughly pissed and I don't want to spend another Christmas too tipsy to eat the dinner I've been helping prepare since the night before. I don't want to spend another Christmas listening to the girls snipe at each other and their father about the 'quality' of their presents. That might sound harsh but hey, it's my Christmas too!

To round off the week nicely I travelled to Trowbridge in the dark, wind and rain, to see the first appearance on UK soil of the lovely Peter Lincoln as front-man of The Sweet. Now, anyone who knows me, knows I am a die-hard Sailor fan, and Pete has been their 'Captain' for 10 years, and a very lovely and talented Captain he's been too. But he had the opportunity to join The Sweet and treble the number of gigs a year he does so although I'll still be trailing in Sailor's wake as often as possible, I'll also be upping the number of Sweet gigs I go to.

I must admit, it was very nice to be standing around in a bar full of strangers, feeling a bit nervous, and then see Pete, who gave me a kiss and bought me a drink and had a chat. People then realised who he was and, by default, who I was from comments I'd made on the Sweet forum, so I felt very welcome - no more nerves!

It was a great show - and good to see that other fans (not just Sailor fans!) are mad as hatters!

Shame I had to come to work today (especially as my line manager is trying not to be a prat but can't help himself) because I could have happily sat at home singing all day! But I bet the neighbours are relieved ...

Next (known) gig for me is Culture Club on 21 December in the Guildhall - with Phil Pickett (one of the founder members of Sailor and writer of some of CC's songs). Pity I can't fit into the clothes I wore in the 80s but I'm sure I can still plaster on the make-up!

No comments: